Resiliency and Wellness Curriculum
We have integrated a wellness curriculum that weaves through all three years of residency. This curriculum includes weekly wellness conferences on Fridays, as well as guest speakers and just-in-time debriefs. Below are some of the topics addressed:
- Debriefing deaths of patients and normalizing secondary trauma
- Preventing burnout and increasing resiliency
- View from the parents – Invited parents discuss their perspectives on medical care and interactions with trainees
- The science of gratitude
- Beginning discussions around the end of life and moral distress
- Humanism in Medicine Series
- Communication Skills Lab – Residents practice delivering bad news to parent actors and receive feedback on their approach
Each fall, the entire intern class is excused from clinical service to participate in a retreat located at a resort near the St. Louis area. This retreat is led by a professional facilitator, and the interns leave the retreat with a better understanding of how to best work with peers, and approaches to managing the stresses of intern year. This is also a great time to just have fun!
Each spring, all second and third year residents are excused from clinical duty to participate in one of two senior retreats located in a resort in the St. Louis area. This retreat focuses on development of resiliency skills, as well as camaraderie and relaxation.
Other Wellness Activities
- Free Yoga classes offered weekly in the hospital and at retreats
- Holiday Party – There is an annual department-wide holiday party. All trainees are excused from clinical duties to attend.
- Spring Cardinal’s Game—annual department-wide baseball game for residents and COPE preceptors. All trainees are excused from their clinical duties to attend
- Financial Wellness Lecture Series – This four-part lecture series provides residents with important insights into planning for their own financial well-being.
- Other Activities including: pet therapy, advocacy-driven projects such as “adopt-a-family”, music therapy, and much more!