St. Louis Children’s Hospital
St. Louis Children’s Hospital (SLCH) is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report, and consistently in the top 5 by Parents Magazine. Founded in 1879 as a 15 bed hospital, SLCH is the oldest pediatric hospital west of the Mississippi River and the 7th oldest in the United States.
- Licensed beds: 280 beds including
- 30 bed PICU
- 31 bed Heart Center
- 85 bed NICU
- 6 bed BMT unit
- Employees: 3,334
- Physicians: 818
- Service Area: 2.8 million children
- Patient Demographics: All 50 states, over 80 countries
- Patient visits per year: ~275,000
- Emergency Department visits per year: ~50,000
- Active transplant programs: Heart, liver, kidney, lung, bone marrow
SLCH is moving toward private patient rooms and is undergoing an addition! Patient rooms are equipped with a bathroom, telephone, color television, VCR/DVD and wireless Internet capability. Each room is designed to accommodate at least one parent per patient for overnight stays (intensive care units are exceptions).
In addition to outstanding medical care, SLCH also provides extensive community outreach services, including home care, patient and parent support groups, educational programs, and a free child health information line staffed by pediatric registered nurses (454-KIDS).